Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog injested hydraulic fluid and powder from clean up.

Customer Question
He's been vomiting and very...
My dog injested hydraulic fluid and powder from clean up. He's been vomiting and very lethargic. Took to hospital they gave him cerenia and fluids but he doesn't seem to be getting better. Any suggestions
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am Dr Nicole and I will be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about your pet but I would be happy to try to help you with this situation. I'm working on a response and will be back shortly.
I don't know how much time passed between when he ingested the hydraulic fluid and when you took him to the veterinarian but most of the time when they ingest a toxin of this sort, we will administer a product called activated charcoal to try to minimize and decrease absorption of the toxin into the body. If it had been several hours between when he ingested the Toxin and when you took him into the vet hospital that maybe why they did not administer the activated charcoal. I think it was good that they gave cerenia and fluids as we really want to make sure that we minimize any chance of vomiting. If you give me his weight I can also give you a dose of Pepcid AC which is an acid reducer and may help to calm his stomach. What we don't know at this point is how the toxin is affecting his system. If he is not getting better and continuing to be lethargic with a decreased appetite an inability to taken fluids, and he will need to go back to a veterinary hospital for more aggressive treatment. The other aspect of this whole situation is ensuring that the talks and did not affect his liver and kidneys and an adverse way. This would require a chemistry and CBC to ensure that all values are normal. In the meantime all you can do a supportive care so you can do Pepcid AC and small intermittent meals a very Bland easily digestible foods such as rice, yogurt, low sodium chicken broth, and chicken breast.
I apologize for any typos...I am trying to get the information to you quickly.
I was trying to say that we need to make sure that the toxin did not affect his liver and kidney values and his overall long-term health.
Honestly, if he is not doing better by tomorrow I really think he needs to go in and have more aggressive treatment including blood work and fluid therapy including anti-nausea medications. If he is getting really severe and unstable this evening and there is an emergency hospital close to you you could always go this evening as well. Better to be safe.
I don't know if you'll get this message tonight or not but I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5-star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week. Sincerely ***** *****
How are things going?
Had test and X-ray. He has gas bubbles and a blockage. Prob going to have to put him down.
Oh I am so sorry! Those toxicities are so tough. I know accidents happen. I am just so sorry that you are going through this. My thoughts are with you.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian