Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 16 week old goldendoodle. If I put her in the car…

I have a 16...

I have a 16 week old goldendoodle. If I put her in the car she immediately cries/whines and has extreme (very extreme) drooling and in addition will vomit 4-5 times in a 10 -15 minute car ride. The vet gave us cerenia. So, I have been taking her to the
not started car, in the garage and holding her in my lap and giving real chicken bites in hopes of reducing the anxiety. Yesterday I gave her the cerenia and waited 1.5 hours and then drove around the block as a test to see if we were doing any better. She had already vomited and saturated a kitchen towel with drool in that small time. So the cerenia didnt work. If I roll the window down at all she freaks out like the wind scares her. Tomorrow we have another vet appointment and I am wondering if maybe I should try a benadryl in addition to the cerenia. If they can be given together. I have tried dramamine on one trip and it didnt help at all. I feel like it is more of an anxiety issue than a motion sickness issue. I think this because the day I picked her up from her mom and litter mates she drooled and vomited before we even left the house once she realized she wasnt going with them when they all left the room. I'm at a loss as how to help her so maybe adding the benadryl to the cerenia will help - if that is safe??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No. and we have had 6-7 car rides. it happens every time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Coco Chanel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?

Nope. Healthy and brave otherwise. Its just the car.

1/5/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you! There are no contraindications to using Cerenia and Diphenhydramine together at normal doses. You want to make sure you give them at least 30 minutes before the car ride.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay! Thank you so much. I will try it and keep my fingers crossed!

Great! Let me know how it goes! I would also suggest asking your veterinarian about adding in anti anxiety mediation like Alprazolam if the combination of Cerenia/Diphenhydramine doesn't work!

Sarah Snow

You are doing a great job with desensitization too -keep that up! A lot of times they grow out of this issue too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! I will keep it up!

You're welcome!

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow