Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Shih Tzu, Bichon mix. In her right ear excessive…

I have a Shih...

I have a Shih Tzu, Bichon mix. In her right ear excessive dark brown wax secretions come out. This gets so bad that it matts the hair in her ear causing a Dammming affect. This severe blockage then drys and hardens in the hair in the ear. Her ear has a awful amount of hair in it. Her other ear seems fine with no brown wax discharge. What can be done to relieve this condition

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Shih Tzu's name and age?

Gabby,7 Years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gabby?

The only other condition is she has is allergy to glutten.

1/5/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Gabby. Does she seem painful with this right ear? Is she scratching at it or shaking her head more?

she starts by scratching excessively digging in her ear with rear paw. Also shaking alot and the ear stinks.

Alright. With her having this going on with that single ear, her digging at it, shaking her head more and it smelling bad - then this most likely is an ear infection that is going on. Ear infections are classically just what she has going on. They can be due to bacteria, yeast or a combination of the two. If she has underlying allergies, those allergies can make ear infections more likely to happen. What needs to be done here is getting her to your vet so they can evaluate that ear and do a cytology on the debris from it to determine what the underlying organisms are. Once that is known, then they can clean the ears appropriately, most likely pluck some of the hair from it, and then send home the appropriate ear cleaner and topical medication to get this resolved. Ear infections really need a vet to be involved as there are no real good OTC things to use. The longer an ear infection goes on, the more chance it gets more challenging to treat as the ear can start to narrow in the canal due to inflammation.

Thank you. I'll call tomorrow and make an appointment.

That sounds great! I hope Gabby is feeling better here soon! Iincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian