Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Oh my dog she's a Chihuahua she's a year old she just had…

Customer Question
Oh my dog she's...

Oh my dog she's a Chihuahua she's a year old she just had puppies Thursday she had two puppies yesterday she had diarrhea bloody diarrhea I don't have money to take her to the veterinarian so I want to know what can I do at home and she's feeding her babies to still drinking water so is it safe for the babies and what can I give her at home

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Her name is Harley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

Yes you should throw up a little bit but today she seems she's not throwing up just diarrhea

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Anytime a pet is experiencing vomiting and diarrhea they should be esxmined and treated by a veterinarian. If Harley has come in contact with any human food, new foods, new treats, etc. these need to be discontinued as they are likely contributing to her symptoms.

If you absolutely must treat this from home, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.] Understand that we do know that famotidine is excreted in the milk of nursing mothers but no substantial data exists to suggest it poses harm to the young. It would be a wise measure to bottle feed the puppies around the clock using esbilac while mom is recovering.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food. It would also be wise for mom to take be taking a vitamin supplement while on this therapy: https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/breeders-edge-oxy-momma?utm_source=adwords_c&utm_medium=g&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvrfSBRC2ARIsAFumcm_nJWR1J8rgMdmz90tfA2qPgUleSlJGOfvlGKKGrPjp-15EaY481kAaAjHtEALw_wcB

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse