Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Candy... My moms dog is a 10 pound daschund and is having…

Customer Question
Hi Candy... My...

Hi Candy... My moms dog is a 10 pound daschund and is having seizures about every 10 minutes lasting 3 minutes long. Is it safe to give him ativan to help calm him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Peanut

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peanut?

He had a viral infection about 1 1/2 months ago but other than that hes been very healthy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello??
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Peanut. Seizures of that frequency and severity indicate status epilepticus - the state in which my patient's brain remains over-excited until I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. These dogs can be lost in a seizure. Ativan (lorazepam) is safe and used for treating status epilepticus but you have to be careful about dosing such a patient orally. Peanut may not know that there's something in his mouth to swallow and, instead, inhale it. Ideally, he should be treated in a 24-hour hospital and all drugs given intravenously. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read that Felbamate is safe to give dogs. Is this correct? I just so happen to some here at the house that is my sons Rx. They are 600mg. I broke off a little chip (about an 1/8 of the tablet) and diluted it with water and gave it to him through a dropper. Abut 30 minutes went by and then he had another one. Before that he was having them every 10 minutes. Do you think it wud be safe to break him off a little piece of a 2mg Ativan?

Felbamate appears relatively safe to give to dogs but because of limited use, its adverse effect profile may be incomplete. Most recommend using initially at 7.5 - 10 mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. The lorazepam can be dosed at 0.1 mg per pound of body weight but that dose is usually given IV. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian