Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have an 11 year old Lab that is hyperventilating for no…

Customer Question
We have an 11...

We have an 11 year old Lab that is hyperventilating for no apparent reason

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Lab?

Other than the heavy panting, nothing that we know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Lab seem to hurt?

She doesn’t have any apparent injuries

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nothing She isn’t overheated she had been asleep

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the Lab eating normally?

Yes We tried water, letting her out...

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the Lab having trouble peeing or pooing?

We don’t think so

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the Lab behaving differently?

Fine until this evening She seemed unsettled

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Lab's name?

Kira

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kira?

She has been in very good health, no major problems other than an ear infection that has been treated with antibiotics and drops And it is much better

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Have you noticed any coughing or change in her barking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No changes in her barking. No coughing at all. Her eating habits remain good.

I apologize, I was off line when you responded. How is she doing now? Any history of arthritis? Is she on any medication besides what was used for the ears?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem, I am currently in Germany, hence the time difference. She is doing better now. No signs of arthritis; no other medications.
OK it is good to see that sees doing better now one thing you probably want to do is to monitor to see if she has any more of those episodes if she does then you may want to take her to your veterinarian and have x-rays done of her chest to make sure nothing more serious is going on otherwise Labrador Retrievers are known to have issues with their windpipe or the larynx as well
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thanks.
You are welcome let me know if you have any further questions or concerns
In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian