Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He had very try poop and is now hunkering down on hos rear…

Customer Question
He had very try...

He had very try poop and is now hunkering down on hos rear end. He can't go. What can I give him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Shitszu 11 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Simon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simon?

Just that now he's not eating

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long since he last passed stool?

Can he pass urine?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, etc)?

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you but as Simon sounds uncomfortable, I do want to leave my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply.

Now we do need to tread with care. If there is any chance he has eaten something non-edible, has belly pain, pale gums, or vomiting; then we'd want him seen urgently. Otherwise, for constipation, there are a few home care treatments we can try. To start, you can offer a cup of cow's milk. The lactose in milk can be helpful at increasing gut movement to get stools passed. Another option would be OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) as it works to lubricate the gut to facilitate the movement of gut contents (hard feces in this case) out of the rectum. If we need a more aggressive treatment, we can also administer a few milliliters of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil) orally. These can be mixed into his food.

Furthermore, we can also try adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil mixed into a bit of canned food) to his diet. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. We offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. Though if we use the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or he begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**