Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is limping on his left leg he will not let me touch him.

Customer Question
He is limping on...

He is limping on his left leg he will not let me touch him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes there is nothing on his paw

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Jaxson 9 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jaxson?

He shakes when he is sleeping and he is not eating

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Jaxson. I need to ask a few questions to get a more complete history. What breed is he? How long has the limping been going on with that left leg (rear or front)? Has he had any issues with this leg in the past or others?

Basset hound since last night rear left paw

Do you feel that there is any obvious swelling or isolation of the discomfort? Is he licking any specific area of it? Is he still drinking?

I will take him to his vet thank you very much

Honestly, that trip to your vet is going to be the best. A physical exam here by your vet will pinpoint where the discomfort is coming from. With his breed and age, could this be some developmental issue with a bone? Could it be a temporary soft tissue injury? They will use their physical exam and possibly x-rays to shed more light on what is going on. Don't give him anything OTC for pain. They will have the ability then to give him the best and safest medications based on what they find. With his age, hopefully he was just a little overactive and just hit / landed wrong and tweaked something that needs time and rest to get back to normal!

I'm curious to know what your vet diagnosed with Jaxon. If you want to write back to let me know, I'd appreciate that.