Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

There is something lodged in her stomach. we had an x-ray…

Customer Question
There is something lodged...

There is something lodged in her stomach. we had an x-ray taken but the doctor doesnt know what it is. we are hoping for a second opinion of the x ray

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She has barely eaten and has thrown up several times, she has black excrement

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maebe, Age 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maebe?

She had a tumor removed a year ago from her belly

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've attached the x-rays. She had a tumor removed a year ago. She didn't eat for a few days and was vomiting. She had some small black poops. She is still drinking water and peeing. She ate some pureed dog food last night and this morning and was acting very normal at the beach. The vet told us something was ingested that was too large to pass into the intestine, and that emergency surgery was needed to remove the foreign body from the stomach. Could this be a tumor in the stomach? Thank you!
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

I agree that there's a possible foreign object in the stomach on one of the views - however, more concerning to me, is the generalized pattern of gas in the intestines, which suggest that this situation requires surgical exploration regardless of whether or not there's a visible foreign object.

In a patient with a history of a prior tumor, it's certainly more likely that tumor could have occurred again, which could be cancerous, but there are also benign growths that could affect digestive tract function.

It seems likely to me that this is something requiring further evaluation. If you don't want to pursue surgical exploration, then the next thing to do would be an abdominal ultrasound, which might give more information non-invasively.

That bowel movement certainly is abnormal, and appears to have grass or fibrous material in it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the quick response. We will get an ultrasound asap. Regarding the gas, are you saying that there is a back up/buildup of sorts? Also, would your best guess be that the object is a foreign body or growth? I understand more information is needed, but was hoping you could say which you thought was more likely based on your experience? Thanks again!

Gas in the intestines can be a sign of a blockage. it can be other things too - including disorders of motility, where the nerves and muscles aren't moving things along properly. But, it's always worrisome to see a large amount of gas because it means we've got to rule out a blockage as a possible cause.

I am split on whether the abnormality is indicative of a mass or a foreign object. I am leaning more towards a possible mass of the stomach wall, if I had to say, at this point.

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian