Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has been on meds for a disk problem. Currently he is on…

Customer Question
Hi. He has been...

Hi. He has been on meds for a disk problem. Currently he is on gabapentin methocrbamol and tramadol

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I only have 1 tramadol and gabapentin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No muscle relaxer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Can I give him a human Oxycodone

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

He is in some pain. My vet will see him Friday morning. Just wondering if I can give him 1/3 of an Oxycodone

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

10 winsten

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am working on a response and I will be back shortly
those are all great medications used for osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease in older dogs. Oxycodone is and can be an effective pain reliever for dogs however it is not something that is traditionally prescribed although can be given at a safe dose typically 0.3 mgs/kg. Unfortunately because I am unable to examine your pet and don't have a history as far as medical background or other health history, I cannot advise you to give this medication. What I would recommend is contacting your veterinarian and asking if they feel that it would be a safe medication to give him since you are currently out of medication and have to wait for his exam, especially because you're worried about chronic pain. They should be able to advise you as to whether or not it would be safe for him at his age and given his history since they know him.
In the meantime just keep him quiet and resting, minimize excessive activity Etc. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you are satisfied with my assistance of five star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week. Sincerely ***** *****

Any Questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian