Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She keeps looking up. Will not rest her head. Is falling…

Customer Question
She keeps looking up...

She keeps looking up. Will not rest her head. Is falling asleep in this position for a moment then wakes up again. Will not let her head down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Its like she wants to sleep but just wont because she wont let her head go down. I can push it down and it doesnt seem to bother her though

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Boog and shes about 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boog?

She keeps her mouth shut during all this as well. No panting or anything. Just like a statue holding her head up slightly too high

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would luike to assist you.

Is she snapping in the area or only focused?

How long has this been going on?

Does she respond to your voice?

Joan

She is not snapping and barely opens her mouth. Its been going on since yesterday. She responds and walks around fine. Drinks water, but did not eat last night. Shes not staring at the ceiling either. Just wont let her head down. Doesnt seem to be in pain. I laid her down with her head on a pillow to prop it up and she fell asleep a couple times but only for a minute. After that she did lay on her side with her head down for an hour or so.

Is she having any problems breathing?

Any other strange behavior?

Joan

No

Thank you! What I suspect is this may be some seizure activity called a partial focal seizure. In some dogs we see this behavior with fly snapping which is head up and snapping at something that is not there. In her case she is just looking up. A Seizure is a electrical d isruption in the brain and they are common in older dogs. I suggest taking a video of the actions that she is doing and take her and the video to the Vet so he can verify if it was a Seizure and if they feel medication is needed.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

She is not seizing what so ever. Just sitting comfortably and breathing normally. Taking her to the vet is a blanket response and not worth the money i spent. I would like a refund please. Thank you.

Seizures are not necessarily violent.

I will opt out and leave this open for other Experts.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech