Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just had a question about my dog's stool. His name is

Customer Question
Hi i just had...

Hi i just had a question about my dog's stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's around 8 or 9 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stymie?

He actually went to the vet yesterday to get some bloodwork done. the bloodwork came back completely fine. i just noticed the blood in his poop this morning. the vet said it was likely stress related but i wanted to get a second opinion.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sure thing!

Did the vet know about the blood in the stools? Was a fecal sample checked to rule out abnormal bacteria and parasites? What medications were prescribed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, it just happened this morning and i called the vet this morning. they haven't collected a stool sample. since it's only occurred one time, they thought it might be stress related.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he was actually getting the bloodwork done because he's getting neutered tomorrow and he's an older dog but the bloodwork came back normal.

Okay, the vet will need to check a fecal sample. You can drop one off today and they can look at it under the microscope.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you! is that a common cause of bleeding?

For today, put him on a bland diet of plain cooked ground beef rinsed of fat or plain cooked chicken and rice. That is easier to digest than dog food.

Stress can cause bleeding. But an infection or gastrointestinal parasites can too. Hence the need to check a fecal sample to make sure there is not an infection or gastrointestinal parasites.

Either way, if he is having repeated episodes we do have medications, usually Metronidazole, that help with stress colitis.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much! i really appreciate all of your help!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i actually just have one more question if you don't mind

If the stool becomes watery and bloody he will dehydrate quickly. In that case, take him into the vet at once.

You are very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
absolutely. would you say that bloodwork would usually show an underlying serious medical condition?

No, the blood work shows internal organ function, a red blood cell count, a white blood cell count. It does not show things like heart disease or tumors in the abdomen or chest. Those were just examples.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay, thank you for your help! i'm always worried about the worst possible scenario, but he does get yearly physicals and his last few have come back just fine. thank you again for your time.

Glad to help. : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian