Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been bleeding but not in heat. Dog. She bleeding and…

Customer Question
She has been bleeding...

She has been bleeding but not in heat

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She bleeding and not in heat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?

Second week

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cookie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?

She was in heat last month she is 13 had her last littler end of may

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your pup Cookie has had abnormal bleeding for 2 weeks a month after her normal heat cycle.

I am glad that she feels fine otherwise, eating and drinking normally with her normal activity level. If she was drinking more water then usual or has a decrease in her appetite I would be more concerned.

An increased vaginal discharge can indicate endometritis, which is due to a thickened, abnormal uterine lining. This isn't necessarily dangerous for her, but it does indicate that she likely has abnormal fertility because of her thickened uterine lining.

Another reason for an increased discharge can be a uterine infection called a pyometra. Pyometras can rupture, causing peritonitis and/or the infection can spread to her other organs leading to abscesses in her kidneys, liver spleen and even her heart valves. The toxic metabolites from the infection can affect her appetite and cause her to drink lots of water as the infection progresses. Initially with an open pyometra (cervix is open so the discharge can drain) we may just notice a bloody discharge following a heat cycle because the infection is draining and not yet building up enough to cause toxicity, but eventually these pups get sick.

Early on the symptoms of an open pyometra and endometritis can be very similar as long as the pyometra is draining. That is because if the infection is draining she may not feel the effects of the bacterial toxins as quickly as if the infection was closed in and the toxin levels build up more quickly in her uterus and bloodstream.

Antibiotics alone do not work to treat a pyometra as they have poor penetration into an infection filled uterus and do not address the pool of infectious material and toxins in her uterus. We sometimes use prostaglandin injections and combination antibiotics in dogs that owners want to breed another time, but the success rate is variable. And even if it works if she isn't bred successfully on the next heat the chances of the infection returning are very high. At her age it is unlikely that she would be a good candidate for breeding any more anyway.

Ideally she would see her veterinarian for an examination and to check her vaginal discharge to try and differentiate between endometritis and an early pyometra. The sooner that she is examined the better as if this is a pyometra the sooner that is addressed the better chance she has of doing well. Treatment for a pyometra is stabilizing her with intravenous fluids and antibiotics and surgery to remove the infected uterus. The longer that you wait the more opportunity this infection has to spread and the more difficult it will be to save her.

If she seems to feel great otherwise I recommend that you have her seen as soon as possible by her regular veterinarian. Even if this is endometritis I would recommend having her spayed after this heat cycle as she has an abnormal uterus.

If however her appetite starts to fall off and she seems to be drinking more water then usual, or is running a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F) then this probably should not wait, she should be seen as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara