Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My daughter’s y dog was foaming at the mouth on Dec 30th.

Customer Question
My daughter’s y dog...

My daughter’s y dog was foaming at the mouth on Dec 30th. She wouldn’t eat or drink, just sleeping and lying around. My daughter took her to a vet and they gave her a shot of antibiotics and told her to give the dog Pepcid ac, because my daughter couldn’t afford the blood tests. I believe she may have a either a peanut stuck somewhere or she may have eaten some Blue bio, which is a toilet cleaning chemical.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Princess pearl. She’s eating a little (rice, Pumpkin and low sodium chicken broth

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princess?

No vomiting, no blood in stool or urine

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed.
How is Princess Pearl doing currently? Is she improved at all? Eating and drinking normally? The Bio blue and potential peanut consumption aside, have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Is your daughter still giving the pepcid every 12-24 hours?

She’s a little more active and alert. Still drooling a little. No major changes in her diet prior to her getting sick. She was eating blue buffalo adult food but all I had was puppy food. Same brand. Yes a couple of new treats, but her 5 month old puppies had the same treats and they aren’t sick. Yes, she’s receiving the Pepcid. I gave her some milk 1/2 cup and she’s looking for more. She let out a huge burp. It was lactose free.
She just jumped up on my lap. She hasn’t done that in three days. She let out another big burp

If she was eating adult food before and you switched her to puppy food, this might have been what initiated her GI upset. Even changes of flavors or types within a brand can cause problems for very sensitive individuals. The treats may also be to blame as dogs, just like people, can vary in their response to foods. It's possible Princess Pearl got sick but her puppies handled the food and treats just fine. Please avoid feeding any additional human food (lactose free milk included) as this can cause a continuation or worsening of her symptoms.

Typically peanuts pass just fine from the GI system and I imagine she'd have passed this by now if she were to have ingested one. As well, the bio blue would have been likely to cause vomiting.

How many milligrams of pepcid are being given and how frequently?

Is she only eating the chicken broth and rice, or other food as well?

Ok, i will not give her any more milk. Shes receiving 1 pill every 8 hours.

The pepcid comes in 10mg and 20mg. Which is she receiving?

How much does she weigh?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian