Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sever weight loss in 2 days, not eating or drinking and

Customer Question
Sever weight loss in...

Sever weight loss in 2 days, not eating or drinking and vomiting and diarrhea.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I took him to the local get but they don't have the medications he needs available and they don't have hospitalization. He is 2 Months old husky

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
The vaccinations at my local vet have not been available and he has not been vaccinated. He has mucous stool and vomit. How do I keep him alive?
I am pretty sure this is parvovirus now
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I agree with you. You're going to need to find another vet hospital who can hospitalize a pup with suspected parvovirus. This isn't something you can manage effectively at home. If this isn't possible you'll need to dose him with an over the counter fluid/electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics) found in your local drug store. His daily fluid requirement is ~1 ounce of fluid per pound of body weight but he's likely to vomit anything you give orally; hence, the need for hospitalization and parenteral (in any route other than oral) fluids and medications. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Little shadow has passed away 2 days ago.

My condolences for your loss. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian