Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is making a choking honking sound. Shanti age 2. We…

Customer Question
My dog is making...

My dog is making a choking honking sound

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Shanti age 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shanti?

We just returned from Mexico City on Monday where the air was polluted and the altitude is high I was also making squash soup tonight and. Not sure if she got a hold of a seed

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Shanti has this problem, hopefully, this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where these sort of symptoms are sudden onset I would not be at all surprised if she is not suffering from an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description, it does sound a bit like kennel cough. Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

As kennel cough would be a " front runner " in her age group I will tell you what I know about it ...

2. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a cat trying to shift a hairball or a seal honk.

3. The affected dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it may be productive, she will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once she has done this she will settle down for a bit. This, however, is a repeated cough/retch which just keep happening.

4. If kennel cough is the diagnosis then it is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however, antibiotics will speed up recovery and make her feel better very quickly. For this reason, if symptoms continue my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course, this is a wise move as other diagnoses are always possible. In the meantime something like Robitussin-DM { Dextromethorphan } which you can buy over the counter may help with the symptoms, please follow this link for an accurate article on how this drug is used in dogs including dose rates. : LINK

5. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Shanti's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you doctor! I will take her to the vet now.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Shanti is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect kennel cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott