Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well I'm watching my puppy grow he's still very as I like…

Customer Question
Well I'm watching my...

Well I'm watching my puppy grow he's still very young as I like with the mom of the puppy and he's a cocker spaniel hes 3 weeks old and I was curious to know if it's normal for only one of his eyes to be fully open? His other looks like only part of the eyelid is open

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your puppy?

And on the part that is open he's got eye crusty his other litter mates eyes are fully open

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the puppy's name?

Jax

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jax?

No maam

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok thank you.

Thank you for your question. At this time, that eye that is partly closed should be fully open - if physically possible. Some dogs can have incomplete openings of their lid margins. This is basically where the eye opening is smaller than it should be. This isn't common by any means. In this situation, the fact that there are crusty debris there, it would seem suspicious that there may be just some difficulty in that eyelid opening up. Some of these need some help to open up. Using a warm compress on that eyelid and then giving it a little separation can help to tease it fully open. I see this more commonly with young kittens than puppies. Can you post a picture of what you're seeing?

I can't unfortunately it's very hard to take a picture because of how dark they are

That is ok. I would try the warm compresses on that eye to help soften up any crusty material that is there and to then put a little gentle traction on the lids to see if you can help tease it open. If there is a lot of redness to the white of the eye or cloudiness to the clear cornea, then getting him to your vet to check out that eye would be a good idea.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian