Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7yr old dog eats just fine but I noticed towards the back…

Customer Question
My 7yr old dog...

My 7yr old dog eats just fine but I noticed towards the back of his torso is skinnier and you can see his ribs. And tonight out of nowhere he was dragging is back leg and was falling over and walking funny.. after 5-10 minutes he was fine. Don't know what was wrong and it scared me.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Reggie and he's 7yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Reggie?

7yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Reggie?

Not that I can see

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. With what you're describing, I worry about the possibility of him pulling a muscle in his back. The things that make me think that are the fact that he was having trouble walking and that he was dragging his back leg. We see this a lot of back/nerve issues. The torso looking skinnier can sometimes be because they are holding themselves up a little bit differently to cause this. I would recommend taking him in to the vet tomorrow for some xrays and a thorough physical. For tonight, I would give him 1/2 of a baby aspirin (81 mg) and some Benadryl (1mg/lb) to help him relax so he doesn't pull things any further. If he can't seem to get comfortable tonight in spite of the aspirin and Benadryl, I would take him to the emergency vet tonight for treatment. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian