Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog drank a lot of ocean water had a lot of water

Customer Question
My dog drank a...

My dog drank a lot of ocean water had a lot of water diarrhea one time I gave Indo Zoerb he drink a lot of plain water he has Peed 22 times in the last 10 minutes is that normal I can’t have him up all night waiting in the house

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** *****’s one and a half year-old 90 pound German Shepherd. My vet gave me endosorb For if he got diarrhea she knew we were coming to the ocean as soon as he got out of the water about 45 minutes later he had a very bad water diarrhea. I am mediately gave him the Endo Zoerb two tablets he drink a lot of water. And now he just peas every 10 seconds I gave it to him three hours ago do I keep giving him regular water I can’t have him in the house if he’s going to the bathroom every 10 seconds he went 22 times in 10 minutes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smoky?

No he’s been fine it’s just that he was swimming in the ocean and drink some salt water

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still has a lot of peeing and diarrhea

The heavy intake of fluid is going to be the cause for the high volume of urination and the salt content will act as a laxative, which is why the diarrhea has continued.

How long ago was the fluid consumed?

Is he still urinating every few seconds?

What diet is being fed currently?

Does he have free access to water?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh my God up with him two times during the night seems to be better on your meeting this morning. I did not feed him anything last night and have not fed him yet this morning. I think it will give him some chicken breast and rice this morning. Along with another of the prescription by that cave me back home for diarrhea. Yes he has free access to drinking water
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s supposed to say I got up with him twice during the night
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK that is supposed to say I got up with him two times during the night. To P. He had diarrhea one time during the night. I did not feed him last night. I have not fed him yet this morning. Yes he has free access to clean drinking water. Think I will give him some chicken and rice this morning along with today asorbitol

I'm glad that he only got up twice during the night instead of urinating every few seconds. It sounds like his body has processed the water and is still eliminating the sodium. You're doing the right thing by keeping him on fluids. If the diarrhea does not resolve with the endosorb, I would recommend that you speak with your vet about a course of antibiotics and probiotics as the volume of diarrhea being passed may have caused a bacterial shift in the good flora in the intestines.

The boiled rice and chicken is a suitable recovery diet when a dog is having diarrhea, as well. I would keep him on this until he is having normal stool and then slowly switching him back to his regular food over a course of 10 days.

I hope you meant endosorb and not sorbitol. Sorbitol is a non-absorbable sugar that often gives dogs diarrhea. I would not recommend sorbitol at all for this situation.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
endosorb

Perfect. I wanted to be sure since the sorbitol from your post above could be worsening of diarrhea.

I'll check back in on you tomorrow to see how it's going if I don't hear from you before then.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was wondering if I can give him a pancake along with his chicken and rice if that would help firm up and give him a little bulk

I would not give human food like a pancake. That is more likely to cause more diarrhea.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse