Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had his anal glans expressed today and he is now

Customer Question
My dog had his...

My dog had his anal glans expressed today and he is now panting heavily and has diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He appears shaky and is panting heavily after having had his anal glans expressed today

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

His rectum

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

It is raw and red

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog eating normally?

No. He won't eat or drink. He lays down but doesn't rest his head. He just pants

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddy is a most 12. He is a Maltese.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?

He was at the vet's office today and they expressed his anal glans.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

It sounds like he was pretty stressed out. He may be having stress diarrhea.

When did he last eat and drink?

How much does he weigh?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian