Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate 2 cooked pork chops about 48 hours ago ate and drank…

Customer Question
He ate 2 cooked...

He ate 2 cooked pork chops about 48 hours ago ate and drank normal yesterday now he is not eating anything and not really drinking like normal he throw up this morning some food bits and liquid and has tried to throw up a coulpe times this evening

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Flinn he is just under 100 pound labor-doodle he will be 2 in March

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flinn?

Other then that has been in great health all shots heartworm flea..... up to date

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Labradoodle boy Flinn who has been off food and vomiting today since eating a couple of pork chops 48 hours or so ago. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Flinn this evening to cause this vomiting and inappetance, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction due to the pork chops. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Flinn, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure Flinn has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on Flinn's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As he is likely a little nauseous right now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Flinn and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. As a foreign body obstruction due to the pork chops is definitely possible, your local vet would need to undertake an abdominal xray and/or ultrasound to rule this out. If an obstruction is present, then Flinn would likely need surgery or endoscopy to remove this. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc