Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 lb shi-poo got a bottle of melatonin and was playing…

My 2 lb shi-poo...

My 2 lb shi-poo got a bottle of melatonin and was playing with it I’m not sure if she ingested it or not

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

4 months and zoey

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Zoey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?

Nope she’s a typical pup into everything and chews on everything but she eats her own poop I try to catch her as she does that though

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Zoey was playing with a bottle of Melatonin and may have ingested some.

Melatonin is a naturally found hormone in dogs and people that helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle and is involved in seasonal shedding in dogs.

This is a medication that we do use sometimes in dogs to help them relax and sleep, and in cases that have abnormal shedding patterns related to seasonal light changes or abnormal growth hormone fluctuations. The usual dose in dogs is 2mg to 12mg per dog every 12 to 24 hours. This is not a horribly toxic substance and if she ingested a small amount of just melatonin she may just be sleepy, and that should wane over the next 24-48 hours.

The concern would be if these are fast dissolve tablets. Melatonin fast dissolve tablets may contain xylitol, and xylitol is horribly toxic for dogs. She is a very small puppy, and if she possibly ingested any xylitol she needs to be seen at an emergency clinic immediately.

If we can get the xylitol out of their body before they have time to digest and absorb it, by inducing vomiting quickly, and following up with activated charcoal to avoid them absorbing any residual chemical, and they don't have time to start showing initial symptoms such as vomiting, weakness, incoordination, and severe lethargy, we are likely to be successful in avoiding the truly toxic effects of xylitol, seizures, coma, liver disease and/or failure.

Please let me know if you have any questions about my response.

They are fast dissolve tabs, it’s natures made 5mg
About how long before I start to notice if she gets sleepy it’s been about a half hour and she is still pinging off the walls
Ugh sorry they are NOT fast acting tablets

Do they contain xylitol?

If so then she needs to be seen at the emergency clinic.

Some dogs don't get sleepy despite the use of Melatonin, or less commonly some dogs seem to have a sort of idiosyncratic reverse effects and get hyper. In most instances we see effects of Melatonin within 2-3 hours of ingestion

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian