Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can a dog take gabipentin??? She is 15 and her back knees…

Customer Question
Can a dog take...

Can a dog take gabipentin???

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She is 15 and her back knees keep going out

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Her legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Binki

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, as an adjunctive analgesic evidence to support use is weak, but anecdotally it has been reported to be effective in some dogs, particularly for chornic pain conditions with a neuropathic component. Dosage recommendations usually are 5 - 10 mg/lb every 8 hours. I find it more valuable when dosed in conjunction with either a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug or narcotic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how would you split a 600 mg tablet for a dog and are dogs able to take what was for humans

How much does your dog weight, please? Yes, gabapentin is gabapentin - the same drug for people and pets.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
shw weighs 10 lbs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would the gabipentin be as good as tramadol

You'll need to pound a 600 mg tablet into powder and make 6 equal sized piles. Binki would then receive one pile twice daily. If she became too sedate or ataxic ("drunken sailor") you would have to divide each pile in half and give just the half twice daily. No, I wouldn't expect gabapentin to be as effective as tramadol but if you gave the two drugs together, you should see better analgesia than either one given alone. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian