Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I need help you see I came home from work about a week ago…

Customer Question
Hello I need help...

Hello I need help you see I came home from work about a week ago and one of my sons friend gave him a dog we done fell in love with him and today he's not acting like himself he refuse to eat which is not normal and he's not playing he's vomiting and had diarrhea and I can't stand to see him like this I have no money to take him to a vet I mean I have nothing!! I don't know what to do!!! I dont know what happen to him overnight!!! He wasn't like this yesterday!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

That's the thing we dont know because he goes out own his own and I was told he's 6 months old!! This morning around 5am I woke up to him vomiting when I looked at it the vomit was think and milky after that I gave him water he calmed down alil and a few hours later he vomited the water shortly after that I took him outside and when he pooped that's when I saw diarrhea..

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Diesel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diesel?

Well we was told he needed shots but didnt tell us much. He's not playful eating and just laying around I'm scared because I have a dog name peewee we had to put down because of liver cancer and diesel giving me the impression like were going to loose him. I swear this all happen so quickly because he was not acting this way last night.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

In puppies sudden lack of appitite, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy can be signs of a blockage from a non food item. Dogs that eat rawhides, bones, toys, clothing, or outside non food items have the potential to cause them selves an obstruction. An obstruction would require surgery.

Another possibility because the dog needed shots , would be the parvo virus because he goes outside on his own and parvo can live in an environment for years.

Either of the above require a Vet visit.

There is a credit you can apply for called carecredit and you can fill out an application right online. This will not charge you interest for 6 months I think , to give you time to pay it off.

On a lesser side they can get viruses and you will see the same symptoms.

For a virus we usually withhold food (can have water) for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice.

It is very important that he drink so dehydration does not take effect.

I would take the pups vital signs to see if you are dealing with something more serious than a virus.

I will direct you to a link that will take you step by step in doing this. The gum color, capillary refill and temperature are good indications you need to see a Vet right away.

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx