Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13 month old Chihuahua is pooping thick blood with some…

Customer Question
My 13 month old...

My 13 month old Chihuahua is pooping thick blood with some clear thick stuff in it no regular poop?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Baby Girl

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry your dog has some gi upset today. I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress, especially with one so tiny who doesn't have the reserves of a large dog. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

Again I would encourage a veterinary exam asap for Baby Girl but if you elect to try treating at home first:

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon. I have seen little little guys (including one of my own Chi's) decline very rapidly with this so please consider a veterinary exam today before your vet closes and you end up at a veterinary er

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 15 minutes today

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian