Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Diarhhea for almost 3 days. Vomited yesterday 3 times and…

Customer Question
Diarhhea for almost 3...

Diarhhea for almost 3 days. Vomited yesterday 3 times and blood in her stool. Cant get to a vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Peekapoo 9 years old female not spayed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the animal eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the's name?

Lola

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?

She is acting ok

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry I won't be able to call you, but, I can answer your question in this chat. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Is she drinking more than usual?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How much does she weigh?

Ok Thank you

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Is she drinking more than usual?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How much does she weigh?

1- NO
2-NO
3-NO
4-NO
5- 9 lbs

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Ok

Friend, when we see bloody diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon); the vomiting is secondary to whatever is causing the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter