Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 year old greyhound has started urinating in the house.

My 8 year old...

My 8 year old greyhound has started urinating in the house. What can be causing this behavior and how do we stop it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Nothing physically just this behavior change.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He is not in pain. He has just started urinating in the house.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Gulliver.

1/3/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Does he still urinate outside as well?

This has been going on for several months. Yes, he does urinate outside as well. He seems to have periods where he does this daily but then will stop for a period of time.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Are you noticing any blood in the urine at all? Any straining? If he has been housebroken all his life then has just suddenly started doing this the first thing you want to do is to rule out a medical reason for doing this. Common issues that can cause this medically include an urinary tract infection, stones in the bladder, diabetes, or kidney disease. That can easily be determined by having labwork performed. If everything is negative with those tests then it is likely a behavioral issue which could be caused by anxiety

He has separation anxiety. However I am home full time now so I was hoping that would stop the issue but it has not. No, no blood in the urine.

Okay has he ever had bloodwork performed to rule out a medical issue? If he has separation anxiety he may need to be placed on medication to see if it helps. There is a collar called Adaptil that is sold on Amazon that can sometimes help with anxiety with some dogs.

My vet did give his an antidepressant but I was not sure about giving it to him. Fluoxitine HCL 40 MG

Fluoxetine can help in some cases of anxiety. You can try a dose on a day that you are home with him to see how he responds to it. Also to see if it helps with the urination issue.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
OK. I will give it a try. thanks
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian