Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has been battling pancretitis.he was given a steroid

Customer Question
He has been battling...

injection, under the skin fluids a nausea shot and also 60 mg cerenia half tablet daily. He was doing much better. He also was given smz tmp 480 mg. I am broke, and it's flared up again. Is there another antibodic I can give him. I have keflex and amoxocillin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I noticed he had eaten some nylon off my rug. He passed a big piece yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Biscuit and he is two

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Biscuit?

He's starting to cry

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Biscuit. It's important to recognize that pancreatitis is most often a sterile disease in dogs and so antibiotics are rarely necessary. In addition, there's no benefit to steroids. Treatment remains supportive and symptomatic in the form of ultra-low fat diets, antacids such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg per pound of body weight at 12 hour intervals, and antiemetics such as the Cerenia if needed. Supplemental fluids given subcutaneously or intravenously should be considered in dogs who aren't drinking and/or are losing too much fluid in vomitus or diarrhea.

Dosing of amoxicillin at 10 mg per pound of body weight twice daily or cephalexin (Keflex) at 10 mg per pound of body weight should be considered if an ultrasound revealed a pancreatic abscess (uncommon). Please note, too, that both of those antibiotics can cause gastrointestinal distress in dogs - inapeptence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian