Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My six week old puppy has a raspy breathing. She had worms…

Customer Question
My six week old...

My six week old puppy has a raspy breathing. She had worms and we wormed her about three days ago. Her gums have almost been white but now they are a real light pink. She just lays around and whines.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. What is the puppy's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She is a Chihuahua.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella. There appears to be more than one thing going on with her at this time. Most worrisome is her gum color which indicates profound and life-threatening anemia. This can occur from a heavy worm load - in particular, hookworms or whipworms - causing bleeding into her intestinal tract as well as any chronic inflammatory disease process which in her case might well be pneumonia because you've noticed raspy breathing. Bella needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. A complete blood count (CBC) is essential in order to determine the degree of her anemia and the possible need for a blood transfusion and X-rays of her thorax (chest) are essential to assess the extent of infection therein. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian