Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Have a black mouth cur about 1 and 1/2 years old that wants…

Customer Question
Have a black mouth...

Have a black mouth cur about 1 and 1/2 years old that wants to eat all the time but is losing weight to the point that his rib bones are showing. Currently feeding him 4 cups of food twice a day. Why?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Chance- Given to him by the dog pound as he is a rescue dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He acts very healthy and normal.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chance, John. Dogs who are polyphagic (increased hunger) but losing weight are either diabetic (unlikely at such a young age), hyperthyroid (unlikely at such a young age), suffering from malabsorption (inability to efficiently absorb digested food), or maldigestion (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency/a lack of pancreatic enzymes). Chance's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. The testing should include assessment of serum folate and vitamin B12 levels (decreases in either can indicate malabsorption) and a TLI blood test which is the test of choice for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Intestine parasites are often thought to cause Chance's behavior but it's important to recognize that a heavy worm load would result in inappetence rather than increased hunger. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Will consult with local vet.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian