Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 year old Great Pyrenees has a large lemon sized grey

Customer Question
8 year old Great...

8 year old Great Pyrenees has a large lemon sized grey growth in his mouth on the bottom under his tongue. It may be an infection with a pocket of puss, but is solid to the touch. He still eats good but is not himself.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the Great Pyrenees can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Great Pyrenees's name?

Manny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Manny?

No don't have a vet we know to take him to

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Can you post a picture of the growth on this chat?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for my excellent colleague Dr. Peter. You've described an oral tumor in an older GP. Regretfully, these are usually malignant and when I hear the word "grey" I immediately think of the dangerous melanoma. This isn't an abscess - infection with a pocket of pus. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Other vet said it was not cancer but a virus. We are giving him some meds now. Will this growth shrink?

I don't know of any oncogenic (tumor producing) viruses that cause large lemon sized grey growths under the tongue. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Can you upload a photo(s) of this to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.