Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 year old mini pin has had off and on diarrhea with…

Customer Question
My 14 year old...

My 14 year old mini pin has had off and on diarrhea with bright red blood. It seemed to go away now it’s come back he’s been eating fine and peeing normal had. Normal hard poop in between episodes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

14 yr old min pin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes my dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rex

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rex?

He is 14 ang has had Diarrhea with blood in his stool often on for the last couple weeks solid Pooh in between and is eating well Diarrhea with blood in his stool often on for the last couple weeks solid Pooh in between and is eating well

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Unfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which is why you are having recurrent episodes

So that leaves you with a few options

1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.

3.) Unfortunately if the diarrhea and blood doesn't improve then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery

4.) Ensure you have dewormed with a broad spectrum dewormer from your veterinarian as a precaution

I have a food allergy dog and this can be quite a challenging situation. She is on the royal canin h/p formula longterm and whenever she gets anything else she breaks with loose stools :(

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with. I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!