Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We are having to keep our year and a half old lab inside…

Customer Question
We are having to...

We are having to keep our year and a half old lab inside because of frigid temps, she is constantly licking her bottom and turning circles on our carpet, chasing her tail and scooting her bottom across her floor. She goes outside to use the bathroom but still not sure what is going on? What should we do? Is this something we should worry about? She is usually very active, we normally walk 2 miles a day but with the cold temps, this has not happened in about a week so she is housebound!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Nothing wrong with her foot just her bottom

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She recently went through treatment for heartworms but completed the treatments and it heartworm free.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does her bottom look irritated at all? Are you noticing any type of odor going on with her?

It looks a little red, and yes there is an odor! It is almost like she has an extreme amount of gas but it is so offensive! She drags her bottom all over the carpet which is so unusual for her. She is so used to being outside in her own kennel but she has been inside for the last week and I wonder if this is causing her anxiety. I have taken her out and walked her the best I can but it is still not the same as our two mile walks on the farm.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Based on what you are describing, I am suspecting that she may be having an issue with her anal glands. The anal glands are located inside of the rectum and are usually expressed when they defecate. Some dogs have problems with then being impacted because they don't empty like they are supposed to therefore they get irritated. This is what often causes the scooting and the licking

Usually they have to have the anal glands expressed manually and that can sometimes provide relief for them.

this is something I need to take her to her vet to have done?

You can either take her to your veterinarian, or you can take her to a groomer. They usually express the anal glands during a bath. If the problems persists after taking her to a groomer then you definitely would need to see a veterinarian. The anal glands usually have to be expressed every 2-3 months if you find that she gets relief from the anal gland expression.

Let me know if you have any further questions?

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian