Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 year old Lab had a couple days last week where he

Customer Question
My 8 year old...

My 8 year old Lab had a couple days last week where he vomited yellow bile, he bounced back, and the last 2 days he has been having body shakes and is now off his dry dog food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Lab eat anything unusual?

No not that we know of,,, it is extremely cold here. His nose is warm and wet, and when I check his belly he is fine and still likes his normal belly rubs ands his hind quarters scratched. its like he has a cold shiver like we get when our core temp goes down. he is peeing like normal,,, and he has bowel movements in the morning as normal,,,,, I was thinking taking him in to have a warm shower.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Lab's name?

Anheuser

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Anheuser?

No nothing specific,,, he is a great dog,,, little overweight but that oes away every summer when he is running and swimming.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I fed him a little different food and he seems to be better, I think he may have gotten sick at the same time as eating and he has been off of it for a couple days,,, he just ate, went outside, pee'd and came in and went to sleep, and no shakes or groans and moans, I think he was over hungry...
1/3/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

If the vomiting happens again, I can give you some steps to take at home to help. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Anheuser doing today? Have the symptoms fully resolved?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
My best buddy passed away last night. It was a large cancer mass in his belly,
Thank you for your help.��

I'm so sorry to hear. Thank you for letting me know.