Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am a new pet owner so I hope this is. I big deal. My Cairn…

Customer Question
I am a new...

I am a new pet owner so I hope this is. I big deal. My Cairn Terrier just threw up. She has been sleeping a lot lately. She has also been what sounds like sneezing a lot, but other than that she seems to be ok. Should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cairn terrier?

She was eating 4 Health but I couldn't find it when we ran out so I bought another kind also grain free but I don't recall the kind. We just went back to 4 Health Today

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- What was the vomit?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- How long and often has she been sneezing?

It was thick and chunky and looked looked beige and brown.
We don't recall her getting into anything
She's been sneezing for a week or so. It seems like she has an itchy nose (not real sure if it's sneezing or not, but that's what it sounds like)

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Hey, it's pretty cold here. She threw up right after my son walked her they were out there for about 15 minut
also, I gave her her monthly heart worm pill in a spoonful of peanut butter (a friend said that would make her eat it, but she avoided eating it all yesterday and just ate it today. I'm trying to think of everything to make sure I tell you

Friend, the vomiting and sneezing are not likely to be related, 2 different problems. Sneezing can be caused by debris in the nasal cavity, a foreign body, allergies, etc. to name a few causes. I would open the hot water in your bathroom or if you take a warm shower and allow her to breathe the vapor/steam for 5 minutes, this will clear the nasal cavity and hopefully resolve the sneezing.

As far as the vomiting, this can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Ok, is Pepcid AC a pill or liquid?

It is a pill.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter