Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He went outside and came back in and now he is whining and…

Customer Question
He went outside and...

He went outside and came back in and now he is whining and his stomach is hard as a rock, he is laying down and standing up and laying down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

boxer male

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the boxer. What is the boxer's name and age?

Merlin and he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Merlin?

He was ok earlier and I let him outside when my wife came home he was whining and she felt his stomach and it is rock hard

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Boxer boy Merlin who is whining with a hard stomach. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

He is now barking and whining like he has a severe stomach ache

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with your Boxer boy including anything from the early signs of gastroenteritis, to an internal organ issue, or even a GDV (stomach twist and bloat). If he seems particularly lethargic or painful right now, the you need to try and get him seen straight away if you can.

Over the next few hours you are going to have to keep a very close eye on him. In particular, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As he is likely quite nauseous right now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

As above, if any of the parameters aren't right, or if he seems lethargic or painful now, then you are best to get him seen straight away. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian