Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Sounds as if he has fluid in his ear. Shakes his head

Customer Question
Sounds as if he...

Sounds as if he has fluid in his ear. Shakes his head constantly and scratches at it often. Does he have mites? Can it be flushed? Or does he need medical attention? I’ve had ear infections and I know he’s very uncomfortable.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Cedar and he’s about 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cedar?

He breaks out sometimes. Pretty sure it’s allergies. He is a pit bull.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 month ago
Drhollowayvet

Hi, this is Dr. Holloway, you can call me Dr. H and I am a licensed veterinarian. Please give me a moment to read through your concern/question about your pet and I will be right with you.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 month ago

I understand your pet Cedar has fluid in his ears and is shaking. This does sound uncomfortable for him and is likely an ear infection. An ear infection will require a vet visit for Cedar, but can quickly be resolved with proper ear medication and cleaner depending on the type of infection that is present. - Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 month ago

There are few ear medications available through online merchants, such as Zymox. Which is a decent one to try. But it will take some time to be delivered.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 month ago

Unfortunately there are no safe over the counter pain medications for pets that I can recommend. However you can try a cold compress on the outside of the ear to help with some swelling (if present). An over the counter pet formulated ear wash can be purchased at your local pet store, but these generally won't reduce the infection much b/c they are only dewaxers.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today concerning Cedar? I wish there was more we could do in the meantime, but there are many options for ear infections for pets over the counter. Your vet has all the things Cedar needs to make a full recovery. -Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet