Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Congestion. He has more saliva coming from his mouth than…

Customer Question
He has more saliva...

He has more saliva coming from his mouth than usual, and sounds like he has fluid in his throat when he pants. He was just at the vet last week and they said his heart and lungs sound good. He's on medication right now, two antibiotics and an anti-seizure. I just switched his food to rabbit two days ago since he was breaking out from chicken and beef. I was wondering if this could be an allergic reaction to his food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Bo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bo?

He has a vestibular issue which is said may be due to an inner ear issue that can only be diagnosed via MRI or CT. He is a 10 year old bulldog, so the anesthesia risk has delayed that option. ok

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about Bo. How long has he had the vestibular issue?

What are the antibiotics he is taking?

Excessive salivation could be nausea or dizziness, which is seen with vestibular disease. The antibiotics also could be making him nauseous. Is he eating normally?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has had the issue for a couple years. He is on Baytril and Amoxicillin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has been eating less and seemed to have stomach pain issues.

Does he have vestibular signs, such as a head tilt or nystagmus (twitching of the eyeballs?)

If he is eating less, he could be nauseous. You could try Pepcid AC/famotidine or Prilosec/omeprazole for that. How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
74
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He had the twitching a couple years ago, but hasn't since then. He tilts his head
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is now breathing heavier. I put him in the bathroom with the shower running.

If he is 74 pounds, he could take 15- 20 mg of Pepcid/famotidine twice daily, or 30-40 mg Pepcid/omeprazole once to twice daily.

If his breathing is heavy, I think he should be checked by his veterinarian: listen with a stethoscope, maybe a chest Xray. Are his gums pink?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. Is there any suggestions to get his congestion cleared up so he can breath better?

It would be best to determine where the congestion is, and what is causing it. If the congestion is in his nose or sinuses, then nose drops might be helpful. If it is in his chest, he may need medication for that.

Are his gums pink in color when you lift his lip?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions I can answer.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am with him at then Vet now

Please let me know what you learn and how he is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian