Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keeps licking her vagina raw. It has an odour and it…

Customer Question
Hi , my dog...

Hi , my dog keeps licking her vagina raw . It has an odour and it looks very painful. I’ve taken her two vets but it keeps reoccurring

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Name is ***** ***** she’s 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sonia?

She’s been tested for everything - no sign of bladder infection , no crystals in her urine , X-rays are good too .

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Is Sonia spayed?

How often is this a concern?

Has your vet discussed performing a vulvoplasty on her with the recurrent problems?

They discussed having a surgeon look changing the fold of her skin - is that’ a vulvoplasty ?

It is. That would be the next step in her care. Essentially, they will remove some of the skin to pull back the folds so there is a more "open" appearance to the vulva. The fewer folds and the more shallow they are the more likely she will not develop an infection. I can also share some preventive tips with you if you want to try some home therapy, as well, to prevent future occurrences.

That would be much appreciated !

Give me just a few minutes to type out some suggestions. Are you issuing any care currently or leaving the vulva be between infections?

I have some creams and gels I’ve got for her ... cream helped but soon as it’s use is stopped the infection comes back

Thank you.

I highly recommend having a potty trail shaved every 4-6 weeks. This will keep the fur short in this area and air flowing across the skin. 1-2x daily, I would clean the folds with these wipes or a similar one recommended by your vet: https://www.chewy.com/malacetic-wet-wipes-dogs-cats-100/dp/111408?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=MalAcetic&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1afSBRD2ARIsAEvBsNln330V1eAezYAdg5UufwLDpJvaFIKU5jt1mMgGWDyrBv6l8JNE008aAptMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds Following, you can use tritop or animax ointment (or similar) applied to help prevent irritation and infection. I'd start with once daly and see how she tolerates this. If infection persists, move to twice daily.

If she tends to gather a lot of fluid around the folds when she urinates, consider dabbing her genitals with a dry cloth or toilet paper following a trip outdoors. If she tends to urinate in taller grass, try to keep this grass scalped close to the ground so the grass doesn't irritate her vulvar folds. You might also walk her across rocks or sand to use the bathroom, as well, as this can help prevent problems. Since you've mentioned her licking, also consider an e-collar if she becomes attentive to the area as her saliva won't help if she's licking a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Sonia doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

.