Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10lb Chihuahua mix ate about 2-3 oz of fudge a few hours…

Customer Question
My 10lb Chihuahua...

My 10lb Chihuahua mix ate about 2-3 oz of fudge a few hours ago. She vomited once.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Whiskey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Whiskey?

No she seems ok other than the one big vomiy

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Was this commercial fudge or fudge made at home?

Homemade at a shop we bought in big bear
We are not sure which pup ate it but both are acting pretty normal except for the large amount of vomit I found.

Do you happen to have a copy of the ingredients on hand to share?

No.

I can tell you that fudge is often made with cocoa, which can be toxic to dogs in certain amounts. It would be wise to have both dogs examined and vomiting induced for good measure to ensure the stomach is cleared of the fudge. Once they identify which dog has consumed the fudge, they will likely administer active charcoal to prevent digestion of the chocolate products in the fudge.

If this is not an option, you can induce vomiting again using these instructions: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/15/how-and-when-to-induce-vomiting-in-pets.aspx The idea here is to remove as much fudge here from the stomach as possible. Once they've stopped vomiting following the induction of vomiting, you can begin a GI protocol at home. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. You want to watch for progressive vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, fast heart rate, panting, inability to rest, hyperactivity, seizures, etc. If these occur, an ER visit is indicated immediately.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Which ever dog ate it there was already a large vomit. Both are curled up next to me sleeping like normal.

Although there was a large volume of vomit, since you do not know which dog consumed the fudge it would be wise to ensure the stomach is empty on both. Chocolate toxicity develops over a course of hours and may become progressively worse. It is better in these cases to issue some prevention than to assume that they will not worsen. If you choose not to induce vomiting, keep a close eye out for additional symptoms and use the information above if the vomiting persists. Hopefully neither will suffer any toxic effects from the fudge consumption.

I need induce vomiting?
You are scaring me more than helping me

I would, if you choose to address this at home. This will allow you to bring up any additional fudge that is in the stomach of both dogs and lower the risk of toxicity. I would then move on to the GI protocol mentioned above.

It’s the middle of the night and can’t run to a vet nor do I have stuff to make them vomit

If you are unable to obtain hydrogen peroxide and no ER vets are available in your area, monitoring overnight is your only option.

If you'd like me to see if I can find an ER facility or vet that offers overnight emergency care, let me know. I'll need your city and state.

This was a waste of time and money only thing you have done is make me more worried

I'll opt out and see if another expert can help you this evening. Good luck.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

May I have an update on Whiskey, please? There are approximately 0.4 ounces of cocoa in 3 ounces of fudge. 0.4 ounces per 10 lbs of body weight = 0.04 ounces per pound of body weight It would take ~0.06 ounces of cocoa per pound of body weight to see evidence of theobromine toxicity - vomiting, agitation, and tremors. It doesn't sound as if Whiskey were intoxicated by the cocoa in theobromine but as with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise. I expect that he's currently well and no additional treatment will be needed.

vomited once and sone loose stools but slept fine through the night right next to me no Agitation at all

Good to hear! Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Did drink lots of water though

There's quite a bit of salt in fudge. That would explain his thirst. Never restrict water and expect his water intake to normalize quickly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.