Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is licking two of his paws alot and he licks and bites at…

He is licking two...

He is licking two of his paws alot and he licks and bites at his side.. he alos scratches under his jaw

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

maltese bichon mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Maltese's name?

Prince

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?

He is 8months old.. he just got two vaccinations last week. and groomed 3 days later..

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Has anything changed in his environment?

a few days and no nothing has changed in the environment.. oh we did put advantix on him the other day but thats about it.. he only goes outside to pee and poop
hello are you there

Yes I am here . Thanks for the additional information. Are you noticing any redness or scabs with his skin? I initially suspect that he may be developing some type of allergy

Is that the first time he was placed on advantix? Was he itching before you applied the advantix?

no, i have not.. he is full of hair... yes he was itching before so i got the advantix just incase it was fleas plus i want a preventative anyways.. but he wasnt itching as much nor licking at his feet

OK did you see any fleas on him at all? The most common issue that can cause young dogs to become itchy is a flea allergy. Other issues that can develop is an allergy to something in their diet or something in the environment such as grass, mold, pollen or flowers . If that is the case you can try a low dose of benadryl to see if that helps initially which would tell you if it may be an allergy or not.

i didnt see any fleas i just figured because he was itching.... i only had him since christmas and only took him out to pee or poop since ive had him.. when we put the advvantix on him he was squirming all around with his face rubbing in the couch and stuff looked odd...
oh and we did give him a pig ear chewing thingy to bite on but that was just the other day he was itch before that

Okay if he was acting strange shortly after applying the advantix then it is possible that he may also be having a strange reaction to the advantix as well which may be contributing to his signs. But it may be a combination of that and other allergies. Benadryl may help give him some relief. If not then he may need other medication such as a stronger antihistamine or a steroid to help treat the issue.

well i was trying to do a phone call but i dont know whats going on with the card, but in anycase.. how will i know how much benadryl to give him?

How much does he weigh? Usually you can start with half of a dose of Benadryl that you would normally give to a child. That is about 6.25 mg of Benadryl

he is 10pounds

Okay with is weight 1/2 of a children's benadryl dose should be okay but you just have to make sure it is plain benadryl. In some dogs it can make them feel sleepy. But if it helps that it may give him some relief

now the advantix should have stopped all flea activity if there actually were any right?

Not necessarily. Because of the flea life cycle, If there was a flea problem It could take up to 3 months to be completely free of fleas. Also if he is allergic to flea bites then the advantix alone would not be enough to stop the itching.

but I would have seen some right? also, can humans get sick from dogs? I aske because I already was diagnosed with an autoimmune illness and dont need anything making it worse.

Yes humans can get sick from dogs if there is some immunocompromise. Typically the concern would be anything like a ringworm infection or skin mites. But typically if it is just allergies that is causing the itching then that is not contagious in anyway. Since you are immunocompromised it probably would be best to make sure the itchy skin is not from something that can be potentially contagious to you

ok and the best way to do that would be to take the dog to a vet?
let me ask you this.. is parvo a contagious thing? I know the lady i got him from said he had gotten that but they gave him meds for it.

Yes you would want to take him to the vet and based on the exam they may do additional testing such as a skin scrape to rule out mites which are contagious. As far as parvo is concerned. It is very contagious to other dogs but not to humans. If he had it before and survived then he is likely immune to the disease now.

ok.. now ring worms and skinmites, how do they contract that? he has only been outside to use the restroom twice a day and ive only had him since christmas
you can see why im so concerned.. tomorrow i will have to find a vets office, im new to all of this

Ringworm if a fungus that they can get from other people or anything that happens to have the fungus on it like inanimate objects. As far as the skin mites that is usually contracted from another infected animal. Sometimes they can have the mites without showing any signs at first. But I definitely understand your concern. I am sure a trip to your veterinarian will help address any concerns that you may have.

do you happen to be in california

Unfortunately I don't practice in California. I am from Georgia. But most veterinarians should be able to determine if the problem Prince has is contagious or not.

ok.. well thank you for your time..

No problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

I sure will.. thanks again...

Have a good night and Happy New Year

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
ok.. you too....bye now.
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian