Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 month old Samoyed puppy (approx. 35 lbs.) ate a 20g…

Customer Question
My 7 month old...

My 7 month old Samoyed puppy (approx. 35 lbs.) ate a 20g fluoxetine capsule. Will this hurt her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Karma

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Karma will remain safe albeit perhaps with transient loss of appetite, lethargy, shaking/shivering/tremor, possible vomiting, anxiety, panting, and irritability. I might dose a 35 lb dog with as much as 1.5 mg per pound of body weight (~50 mg for Karma). The half-life of this drug and its metabolites is a long 2 days and so it's possible that you might see one or more of those signs for that long. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian