Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1 yr old shepherd had a foot wound and the vet prescribed…

Customer Question
My 1 yr old...

My 1 yr old shepherd had a foot wound and the vet prescribed cephalexin 500mg q12 hours ×10 days to prevent an infection. She stopped eating and had diarrhea once we started. We cooked her real meat and that's all she would eat and just a little. She is already on the thin side and started looking more weight. We stopped the antibiotics after 5 days due to these symptoms. She has been off them for 1 week and poop is back to normal and she is eating and drinking more but had no energy... She sleeps all night and most all day except for the 2 to 3 hours we take her outside. Not sure why she is still feeling low energy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Kota

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kota?

She has a hx of allergies that has also caused her to have loose stools and low energy over the last 6 months.. she has been on a food trial and doing so much better

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also the wound on her foot healed. No signs of infection noted
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm glad you stopped the antibiotics. It does sound like those were probably causing the diarrhea and decreased appetite.

I wonder if she still has some discomfort with the foot. That may be causing her to be a little lethargic and not want to move around much. If you are able, I'd try a pain medication like Rimadyl (Carprofen) or Meloxicam or Gabapentin. If you don't have anything, then you could try aspirin. A safe dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 12-24 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Well I guess I forgot to mention but she never seemed to have pain from the wound. It was between the web's of her paw on top of her back left paw. She never licked at it or anything and is used to going out every morning and evening and showed signs of wanting to go out. She never limped on her paw either. It was just after we started the antiobiotics that she seemed tired all the time and after we stopped

Interesting. In that case it's hard to link the lethargy with the foot or the antibiotic use. I guess I'd think about running some bloodwork just to be sure there is nothing metabolic going on. Otherwise I may give it another week and see if things resolve on their own.

Sounds good. Thank you!

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?