Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Obi is a 1.5 year old 30 pound alaskan klee kai. i dropped a…

Customer Question
Obi is a 1.5...

Obi is a 1.5 year old 30 pound alaskan klee kai. i dropped a single 500mg tylenol tablet and cannot seem to find it. Given his mischievous nature it is possible he ate it. If he ate it can this be poisonous to him? What should i look out for?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

No its possible he didnt eat it at all. It could have fell under the stove or something else

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No. He has No other health issues or medications he is taking.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear this has happened. This dose would be about 3 times the normal dose for a dog his size.

I would recommend inducing vomiting at this point. You can give 3 teaspoons of over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. You can repeat the dose if there is no vomiting after 10 minutes. Once vomiting is induced, there should be no danger. If there is no vomiting, you mainly need to watch out for any GI issues: severe diarrhea, severe vomiting, nausea, and lack of appetite.

A dose like this should not be life threatening, but could make him feel pretty sick. He should be fine if vomiting is induced.

I would feed a bland diet for the next 24 hours as well to help calm the stomach. It would also be a good idea to give 10mg of over the counter famotidine (pepcid AC) tonight as well.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please feel free to accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a Happy New Year!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im not sure i feel comfortable inducing vomiting myself. Are u sure this is necessary. I did not see him eat anything i just cant find the pill, and considering all posibilites. It could be under something. I really would rather not make him vomit unless i absoulutly must.

If he didn't eat it, there is nothing to worry about. I think he likely will not have any major problems besides upset stomach with that dosing, however many owners would rather not deal with the upset stomach we often see after ingestion. The alternative is to try giving a dose of pepcid tonight and tomorrow, give a bland diet for 24 hours, and just monitor. If he is having multiple episodes of vomiting and is acting really sick, I would then take him to a veterinarian.

He may not have any issues at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you so much for your help. Dr. G

You are very welcome.

I wish you both the best.

Have a great night!

I think it is very hard to say if the gums appear abnormal. Many dogs have gums that look like that, so I can't really give you a good opinion.

I think if you are worried and feel it does not look like his normal pigmentation, I would have your vet check him out and check some bloodwork. Without knowing what it looked like before, it is just too hard to say as those gums can be very normal for many dogs. If the gums used to be pink only with no pigmentation, he should get checked out today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unfortunately i cant recall whether or not that is his norm. Is that somethi g you think my vet would have taken note of from prior examinations and would have on file?

They may or may not have noted it, however they should be able to tell if this is a normal pigmentation vs something abnormal just with physical exam. I think most vets are not going to be writing down details about the pigmentation of the gums.

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian