Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Throwing up every couple days seem to be toward evening's. I…

Customer Question
Throwing up every couple...

Throwing up every couple days seem to be toward evening's

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I dont really know live on an acreage

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

It looks like dog food or cat food. He can get at eitherr one

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Remy hes a choclate lab. Hes only a y

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:
1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)
2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. cancer in older dogs

We typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.

The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.

You could pick up some Famotidine (Pepcid) over the counter and give it to him 1-2 times daily to see if it helps. The dose in dogs is 0.25 mg per lb body weight. If this is just some gastric reflux, then it should help the signs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian