Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Yorkie has had 6 surgeries trying to repair an ACL tear.

My Yorkie has had...

My Yorkie has had 6 surgeries trying to repair an ACL tear. Last Wednesday he had anExtracapsular CrCL with Medial Luxation of the Patella. He has not eaten since the surgery and he is lathargic. He is drinking water. Should I be concerned.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I stopped the Tramadol on Saturday, thinking that this might be the cause of the loss of appetite.

1/1/2018
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I might be of some help. Is he on any other medications? Other than not eating is he doing anything else abnormal? For example any vomiting or diarrhea? Normal activity level?

Has he been completely anorexic since the surgery last wednesday or just eating less than normal?

He is on Clavamix. He is not eating anything. Very Lathargic. He is drinking water.

Has he been on clavamox before? Oral antibiotics can commonly cause GI upset would could result in anorexia.

He should definitely be seen in person at this point, it's not normal to not eat this far past surgery, even a major surgery like an orthopedic repair. It's common to not eat well for a day or two, but past that he should be eating normally or near normally. Is the clinic that performed the surgery open today?

No.
He has been on Clavamox before
Ok. I would continue the clavamox for the time being until he can be seen. At this point however you are saying it's been ~5 days post-op and he isn't eating anything, so he really should be seen. If you have another clinic in your area that is open I'd advise getting him seen elsewhere, including if you have an emergency clinic in your area that is open. If getting him seen today isn't an option at all, I would suggest you try to entice him to eat with a variety of foods, chicken, babyfood, lean ground beef, scrambled eggs, various canned dog food, etc. You might try to use some baby food to put a small amount in his mouth to force feed a little bit. Being such a small breed it is very concerning when they go that long without eating, they are prone to low blood sugar very easily so it's important you get him to eat even just a little bit of something, and then get him assessed in person as soon as you can.
Let me know if you have additional questions I can help with. Otherwise, please kindly rate using the stars. I hope he is feeling better soon, these little dogs are fragile, definitely get him checked out in person!
We are at the emergency clinic now. Thank you
Great! Glad you could get him seen! If you have followup questions again let me know, otherwise rate with the stars, thanks! -Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian