Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is taking clavamox & prednisolone for an ear infection.

Customer Question
He is taking clavamox...

He is taking clavamox & prednisolone for an ear infection. He has vomited his food & now vomited blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No. He had a normal breakfast. He threw up his supper last night, breakfast this morning, now blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

He had a clavamox this morning. He should have a prednisone sometime today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Monty; 10 years; healthy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Monty

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Monty. Both Clavamox and prednisolone are known to cause gastrointestinal disturbances and when both are onboard, GI ulceration is more of a risk. The proper manner in which to proceed is to stop administration of both drugs and have Monty attended to by a vet who can administer an antacid and antiemetic by injection and then a GI coating agent such as sucralfate to be given orally once vomiting has stopped. If you don't have a vet available to Monty, administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg per pound of body weight at 12 hour intervals should be at least partially protective. It's best to fast him for a minimum of 12 hours. Water should be left down but if drinking induces more vomiting, ice cubes for him to lick should replace his water. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian