Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Dog Charlie is having bad Seizures since Christmas. He is…

Customer Question
My Dog Charlie is...

My Dog Charlie is having bad Seizures since Christmas. He is 12 year old Weimaraner with multiple tumors. We think he has a nasal/brain tumor that is causing the problem. He seems to be in pain. Can I give him Acepromazine or Trazadone to calm him down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the Dog's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

He has had nose bleeds violent sneezes and reverse sneezing since July.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Charlie having tumors, and these seizures.

Acepromazine is not recommend for dogs that have seizures; there can actually be more seizures if you give it.

Trazadone would be safer, but may not help with the seizures. I would get something from your veterinarian such as phenobarb or levetiracetam for the seizures.

Are the nose bleeds from both nostrils, or just one? If from just one nostril, a nasal tumor is likely in an older dog.

There is a Chinese herb called Yunnan Baiyao that might help with the nose bleeds.

How is Charlie doing? I hope you were able to see my responses.

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian