Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog tink is 3...she is a terrier/chihuahua mix, normally…

Customer Question
My dog tink is...

My dog tink is 3...she is a terrier/chihuahua mix, normally very playful and knows a few commands, runs and jumps from couch to couch.We went to visit family over the Xmas weekend and had friends and family checking in on our dogs...since we have been home she is very lethargic, she doesnt seem to be in pain anywhere, she constantly shivers like she is cold, she seems like she doesnt have the energy to jump up on the couch. The commands she knows like hug, shake, and speak she won't do any of these things. I'm not sure what is going on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Tink

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tink?

She is not eating as much, she is still going potty.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr Pulter. I'm sorry your pup is not feeling well. Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea? Any coughing or sneezing?
No nothing of that sort. We also haven't noticed any barking or growling like she normally does. We also have 2 other dogs and they are fine, nothing out of the ordinary.
Did any one in your family notice she wasn't doing well when they came to check on them? I'm trying to get a feel for how long this had been going on. Also do you know if she got into anything? Or was feed something she doesn't normally eat?
No they didn't notice anything unusual and to our knowledge she didn't get into anything. All 3 dogs eat the same food. My son fed her that weekend so he knows where their food is and everything. I kind of did a small exam felt around on her and she doesn't seem to be in any pain anywhere.
I kind of thought at first maybe she was just a little depressed from us leaving for the weekend but it's been a week now and she is not improving.
Ok. Thank you for the information. I'm going to type up an answer now. Please give me a minute or so.
Shaking and trembling in dogs can mean either pain, anxiety or they are cold. A painful condition that can cause these signs is neck or back pain, abdominal pain, or organ pain. Anxiety can be from any issue that happened while you were gone, expectant pain or worried you may leave again.
Because this has been going on for a while it will be important to take her to your veterinarian for a physical exam to check for back pain and blood work to make sure her organs are healthy. Because she had not been eating very well she may need to be hospitalized on IV fluids if she is deemed dehydrated. In the mean time keep her activity restricted and hand feed and water her if needed. Please reply with any additional questions or concerns. Rating me now doesn't close the question and you can still reply.
Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian