Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I went to clear up my dog mess and there was a fresh poo…

Customer Question
I went to clear...

I went to clear up my dog mess and there was a fresh poo that had dark blonde on it also it went on the pavement

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Jess age 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jess?

I had her when she was 3 years old from a dog shelter, her front paw is mishappen where she broke her paw and didn't receive treatment. She likes her walks but I do tend to limit them as the paw she broke she ends up limping on it if she does to much walking. I was prescribed metacam to give her some pain relief, I have just found out that it has side effects that damage the kidneys. I only gave metacam when she was really I. Pain and plenty of rest.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jess. You've described hematochezia (blood from the anus with or without feces). Her vet will need to consider quite a few possible etiologies for the bleeding. They include anal sac gland impaction, sacculitis, or abscess; neoplasia - perianal adenomas are the most common of the benign tumors while the most common of the malignant tumors is the anal sac adenocarcinoma; perianal fistulas (most common in the German shepherd); anal stricture (uncommon - more often found in middle-aged to older males); trauma - e.g., passing a foreign body in the stool; proctitis (rectal inflammation); colitis - idiopathic (unknown cause), food allergy, infectious (bacterial, parasitic); and a coagulation disorder (not a common cause of hematochezia). Hematochezia rarely represents a condition requiring emergency attention but should be attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian